By Chief Lachlan Lubanach Maclean
The position of Duart was well chosen, it is sited on a high crag at the end of a peninsula jutting into the Sound of Mull. It commands the channel between Mull and the mainland, entrances to Lochs Linne and Etive and the neck of the Firth of Lorne as it meets the Sound of Mull.
The Keep was built by Chief Lachlan Lubanach Maclean and on the vunerable landward side is 29 feet (9m) high and 10 feet (3m) thick. The walls facing the sea are less thick ranging from 5 to 9 feet (1.8m to 2.4m).
The Castle was completely refurbished around the oldest part in 1911 by Sir Fitzroy Maclean. Before this date, the Castle was a ruin from the 18th Century.